7 Costly Mistakes That Small Businesses Make on Facebook

Coffee Phone.jpg

7 Costly Mistakes That Small Businesses Make on Facebook


Facebook is the big daddy of social media, and in our opinion the best marketing platform for any business, especially for small businesses. It offers a quick and easy way to connect with your audience and grab potential customers with a small investment of time and money. However, it can also backfire if you’re not managing your Facebook page correctly. Here are a seven mistakes that small businesses often make on their Facebook pages:

.  .  . 

1. Boring or Annoying Facebook Posts

When it comes to content marketing, focus on ONE thing: INTERESTING CONTENT. Whether it’s images, videos, tips, quotes, articles any other kind of post… you need to put out content that engages your audience.

Post things that add value, and make someone want to stop scrolling to read or watch what you just shared. Posts that are popular will get more views, and Facebook defines popularity by likes, comments and shares.

So share something interesting that people want to interract with!

It doesn’t always have to be a sale, in fact only 25% of your posts should be about your business. The other 75% should be value-add content that connects with your audience. 

Through this, you will grab the attention of your followers that can later convert into business leads. You don’t always have to make people to go to your website to watch videos, see photos or read content.

Most of the people on Facebook have a short attention span and like to read / watch the videos natively on Facebook, so small businesses should focus on posting natively to get their content consumed.

2. Poor Use of the Facebook Live Feature

Facebook Live is a terrific addition to the platform and one of the best features that quickly and easily grabs the attention of your audience. However, it can also backfire if you’re handling it unprofessionally.

For instance, it is often seen that small business owners don’t have someone to operate the camera. Combine that with no plan / structure and you’ve got a low-quality, boring, useless video.

That will make people avoid your content in avoid. That’s not good!  

3. No Original Content

There’s nothing with curating content and sharing things that are happening in the local community, but small businesses often end up sharing straight copied information every single time they post.

Either that, or they keep posting old news. Not only can it be boring, it can compromise your reputation Always try to create your original Facebook posts for smart business marketing. 

4. No Offers or Value for Customers

Successful marketing is about adding value in exchange for someone’s attention. Always offer something new for your customers in the form of useful resources, coupons or sale offers once a month (or at least once a season) to engage and grab more and more customers on Facebook. 

5. Not Reading the Data

Facebook’s Audience Insights is one of the most amazing free analytics tools available – yet so many people ignore it! Facebook’s data will tell you what content is the most popular, the best time to post, the types of people reading your posts and more.

Read this data, and find out critical information like timing. If you want to engage with customers but you’re posting at midnight, you ought to try a new strategy!

Post at times when people are likely to be on their phone, like commuting to work at 7am or lying in bed at 7pm. 

6. Inconsistency

The only thing worse than having no account at all, is a dead account. At least if you have nothing, nobody can see your lack of commitment.

If you have an account and you never post, it looks like you don’t care and it can almost look like you’re out of business! Once a day is always a good number, but post at least 3 times a week!

As per the point above, read your analytics to see when people are responding the best. 

7. Bad Customer Support on Your Facebook Page

These days, more and more people are turning to Facebook as the first form of contact with a business. It’s easy for customers to do, and they are able to see when you’ve read their message, making it a popular platform for connecting one-on-one with small businesses.

This is also a terrific opportunity for you to give people the ‘wow’ factor – but unfortunately a lot of businesses totally drop the ball. If you don’t respond to your messages or your comments, you’re setting yourself up for failure.

If someone reaches out to you and never hears from you, it’s quite likely they will never come back. Always make an effort to respond to them quickly and effectively – they deserve it!

.  .  .

 Avoid these mistakes and your Facebook page will be rocking in no time. If you want help with your social media and you want to take your business to the next level online, reach out to us and see what we can do for you!


Mitch Hills